Fall Planting Guide
Two of my favorite seasonal home transitions include gardening and porch decorating. Tending to my garden helps me to relax, remain grounded, and feel inspired. Crisp fall air makes gardening more enjoyable, relative to hot summer months. Additionally, I look forward to visiting my favorite nurseries and farm stands to select a few new plants and heirloom pumpkins for our fall porch.
While decorating this year, I thought of assembling a small, simple fall planting guide for you to reference on Fleming Lane. Compiled below is a list of my favorite plant and pumpkin varieties.
For Pots and Garden Beds
- Mums - I recommend purchasing mums while they are still green as they have a short blooming life.
- Pansies - Pansies work great in flower beds as they will last through winter. Keep in mind deer are attracted to them!
- Grasses - Grasses, often perennials, are a great centerpiece for planters.
- Ornamental Kale or Cabbage- These add a beautiful, organic feel.
- Snapdragons - Snapdragons are simply stunning!
- Ornamental Peppers
Favorite Pumpkin Varieties
- Jack-O-Lantern - We love a traditional, orange pumpkin!
- Porcelain Doll
- Any kind of heirloom pumpkin - Unique and beautiful, these are my favorite!
For inside the home, I suggest gatherings of gourds paired with smaller pumpkins, such as Baby Boo or Jack-Be-Little. Oftentimes, you can find “pumpkin” branches at your local Trader Joe’s. I love to display a small bundle of these in a ginger jar, such as this one from Fleming Lane. A pop of orange beautifully compliments blue and white!
We hope you found our Fall Planting and Decorating Guide helpful as you purchase your seasonal fall decor. We would love for you to share your signature fall plants and decorations in a comment below! Don't forget to check out this blog post, where we are sharing how we hang our wreaths using ribbon without damage as you see in these pictures!